“Petting, scratching, and cuddling a dog could be as soothing to the mind and heart
I am so psyched cuz I have been chillin’ with my new friend, Jake, a shipoo! He thinks he’s so cool (even though he weighs fewer than 1o pounds dripping wet!)! Ooooooo scary!
So, what’s the deal? What is it about DOGs that makes them (wo)man‘s best friend? And, have you ever noticed that DOG is GOD spelled backwards? Coincidence? (Well, you already know how I feel about that…)
We humans can learn a lot from DOGs; and here are some reasons why I believe DOGliness is next to GODliness:
- Life is simple for dogs: Eat, play, sleep, pee, and poop. No drama, whatsoever. Wouldn’t it be great if we could live like that?
- Dogs live in the present: Like, as in, they live in the moment. Have you ever seen a dog with regrets? Or worry about where to take the next nap? No way!
- Dogs follow their instincts: Like, when a dog is tired, it just goes to sleep . . . doesn’t matter where—car, sidewalk, lap (more about laps later . . .). And, if a dog gets a bad vibe from a person or another dog . . . it barks! (Wish I would have learned how to do that an an earlier age . . .)
- Dogs are forgiving: I don’t know about you, but I’ve never witnessed a dog who holds a grudge. When something bad happens, a dog just licks his owner’s hand, wags his tail, & moves on to the next fun thing!
- Dogs are loyal: They have your back. They will protect you and stand by you. Have you ever heard of a dog leaving home, triangulating, or breaking up with its owner?
- Dogs listen (. . .without interrupting you, unless they’re giving you little doggy kissies . . .): They will hold space for you while you cry about your stupid breakup or your crappy algebra test . . . they also understand that your parents don’t get it a lot of the time . . . true dat ‘cuz dogs just give you that knowing dog look.
- Dogs accept what is: Dogs aren’t haters. They don’t care what brand of clothes you’re wearing or whether you sit at the cool lunch table. They also don’t care what mood you’re in or if you have morning breath. They just love life and embrace whatever is in front of them fully.
- Dogs love and serve: Dogs are full of gratitude and joy. Basically, a dog’s job is to hang out, enjoy life, and receive and give love. In other words,
. . . Hmnnnn. Sounds pretty awesome, huh?
What if that’s all we humans have to do, too?
Love and Be(Love)d?
What if life is really that simple?
Our animals bless us with unspeakable wisdom, and I fully believe that the Uni-verse sends us messages through the pets we hold dear. What lessons have you learned from your beloved pet? Leave us a comment and share your experiences on the blog. Blessings!
Doggy kissies . . . and love!
Dana Lynne Curry, Ph.D., has been teaching middle school English (with no low bun) for over 23 years. She is a gReaT-fuL Writer, Storyteller, Teacher, Student, Irreverent GoofBall, Blogger, Servant, Philosopher, Spiritual Collagist (is that a word?), Mama, LoVer of LiFe!, Amazing Friend, and one cOOL pUsSy caT!! Find Dana at funfreeME funfreeMe on FaceBook and on Twitter @funfreeMe1.