When we take ourselves or our lives too seriously, one of the first things to fall to the wayside is our joy. In 2013, I made it a point to keep things simple and to flood my life with more enjoyment. The result was moving my way through challenges, transitions and expansion with much greater ease than I’ve ever experienced before. Today, I want to show you how so you can set this intention for 2014 and watch the magic unfold in your life, too.
More enjoyment leads to higher vibes, less sweating of small stuff, and, as a fitness professional, I can say with certainty a flatter belly (for reasons ranging from hormones to the fact that your abs contract when you laugh).
Enjoyment Rules has a double meaning.
– Enjoyment rules! As in rocks, kicks ass, is #1.
– I wrote some rules of enjoyment. There are five enjoyment rules you can follow for a much more pleasurable lifestyle.
#1. Begin with gratitude
I’m guessing that as a reader of The Daily Love you’re no stranger to a gratitude practice. In case you are, here’s my suggestion for getting started. In a journal, or just to yourself, begin or end each day by listing at least 3-5 things you’re grateful for. You can do this by yourself or get your friends and loved ones involved. To keep yourself accountable, set an alarm or a reminder on your phone to go off at the same time every day. Commit to this practice and watch the magic unfold.
Lynne Twist, author of The Soul of Money, wrote, “Sufficiency isn’t an amount at all. It is an experience, a context we generate, a declaration, a knowing that there is enough, and that we are enough.”
A gratitude practice is one of the best ways to let the Universe know we see that we have enough, we appreciate it, and we invite in more.
#2. Prioritize Enjoyment
Commit to a random act of enjoyment every day. Below, I’ve listed 19 ideas to get you started. It’s really easy.
#3. Shift your mindset toward enjoyment
Imagine you could manage your mindset with a dial – I’m inviting you to turn your dial to the ENJOYMENT setting here. Three things that stand between us and our joy every day are struggle, sacrifice and scarcity. These mindsets are common and easy to fall back on. Awareness is more than half of the battle sometimes – so realize when you are in struggle mode, sacrificing your joy for someone or something else, or operating in a scarcity mentality (there isn’t enough to go around [money, love, success, etc]).
Use this mantra to snap yourself back into ENJOYMENT, “I am meant to enjoy my life.”
#4. Do an enjoyment audit/upgrade
Take a look at the everyday tasks in your life – the things you kind of can’t avoid doing – and ask “how can I make this more enjoyable?”
I’ll give you an example. I hate looking at my money – this applies to my personal and my business finances. What I’ve done to make it more enjoyable is I’ll light some candles, enjoy a cup of tea or a glass of wine, put on some music that makes me feel good and create an enjoyable environment to do my bookkeeping in.
This might sound silly, but trust me, it makes a difference.
Same goes for doing the dishes, sitting in traffic, and folding laundry or anything else that’s less than desirable but non-negotiable.
#5. Say The Enjoyment Prayer at least once/day
Holy Mother, Father, God, Universe, Source, Shakti, Beloved [or insert whatever it is you pray to],
make me a magnet for joy. Please fill my day with opportunities for enjoyment and pleasure. Help me engage my senses to experience delight in even the most mundane tasks. Lead me away from struggle, sacrifice, and scarcity and move me towards that which feels good and raises my vibration. Make me a force for good and let my enjoyment be contagious to those around me.
Thank you, I love you, Amen and so it is.
Here’s that list of 19 ways to get you started and a LOVE CHALLENGE – can we get the list over 100 with your ideas in the comments?!
- Whatever you’re doing, slow down and engage your senses… we miss out on seeing, hearing, feeling, smelling, and tasting a lot when we rush.
- Wear lipstick/lipgloss. I used to hate on girls at the gym who wore makeup until I tried it and realized that looking pretty means feeling good about yourself. Mission accomplished. I blogged about this here.
- Bring a friend, or two or three.
- Dress up when you would have normally just worn your PJs or workout clothes.
- Wear your sexiest lingerie under your work clothes – your little secret!
- Sit down at a table to eat your meals and eat them from a plate – no standing over the kitchen counter, please!
- Chew your food completely before you swallow (it’ll taste better AND your digestive system will thank you).
- Go outside. Nature is magical.
- Go for a walk. Even low key movement can change your physiology and improve your day.
- Do something that scares you. Facing fears is a major confidence booster!
- Add color to your environment. Neon post-its or pens at your desk, flowers to your home, accessories to your outfits.
- Give whatever you’re doing your full undivided attention – presence is powerful.
- Light a candle. Candles make everything feel more relaxing and indulgent.
- Experiment with more enjoyable ways to move your body than your same old workouts you’ve been doing forever.
- Drop someone a random thank you note, card, or call. Gratitude is a major enjoyment booster!
- Give someone the greatest hug they’ve ever received.
- Get some essential oils – fragrance can switch up your mood in an instant.
- Do something that the 7-year-old you would have done and screw what anybody around you thinks (ideas: ride a swing at a playground, cannonball into a pool, cartwheel, play a friendly prank on someone, sing, dance, roll around on the ground, draw, color, paint…)
- Find something hilarious on buzzfeed.com like this.
Your turn, in the comments tell me your favorite way to add enjoyment to any day and let’s get our list over 100!
Liz DiAlto is a women’s body & soul coach, speaker, and writer. She is the founder of the Soul Movement Salon, a thriving private Facebook community where women come together to have transparent conversations about all things body, mind and soul and the forthcoming movement experience The 2xONE Method. Connect with her via Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and her website.
Try a free full length 2xONE class here. Pilot program re-opening Jan 28, 2014!