As I sit up on the counter typing away I often get wrapped up in the hustle of what’s going on in the kitchen. I watch as server after server emerges from the kitchen with plates stacked high of pancakes, eggs benedict, breakfast tacos and fresh baked cinnamon rolls (before you run out to grab one yourself, keep reading!)
I wonder about who those plates are going to and imagine following the server to the table and providing a quick information lecture on how that over-processed, sugar-laden, nutritionally empty food is setting them up for food cravings all day long.
Here is what I would tell them:
First and foremost, you (yes, you!) deserve to be radiant, energized and fueled with food that allows you to live to your greatest potential.
I know you are busy, so I’ve done the leg work for you here…
Follow these 5 simple rules when it comes to your breakfast and you will be ready to rock & roll all day long!
1. Start your day with protein. My go-to morning food: EGGS. They can be scrambled, poached or hard-boiled and taken on the go. They are a POWERHOUSE of nutrients and incredible brain food to get you going first thing in the morning (plus they’ll curb your appetite throughout the day!).
Scramble in some butter or coconut oil for added benefit (see Rule #2).
2. Healthy FAT to fuel & satiate the body. Think avocado, butter, coconut oil, olive oil, and raw nuts & seeds; healthy, high quality fats provide energy, build healthy cells, contribute to radiant skin & strong nails, and reduce food cravings.
3. GREENS, glorious greens. Broccoli, kale, spinach, zucchini – whatever floats your boat. A good way to get greens in your diet in under 1 minute: GREEN SMOOTHIE.
4. Skip the refined sugar. Just say “no thanks!” Today, I choose not to jump on the roller coaster of sugar highs and lows resulting in mid-afternoon crashes and mood swings.
Try this on: “I fuel my body with food that satiates and creates health in my body.”
5. Pass on the processed, white bread: Donuts, egg sandwiches, croissants, bagels and the majority of conventional breakfast foods are a no-go. They will leave you feeling used and abused and aching for more.
Protein, healthy fats & greens are your new best friend.
My daily breakfast:
2 eggs scrambled in 1 tbsp. coconut oil, 1 cup broccoli steamed, ½ avocado, all sprinkled with Himalayan sea salt (full of trace minerals and nutrients!)
Experiment. See what works for you. Be open to the process of feeling a renewed sense of clarity and energy.
What is your go-to breakfast of choice? Are there any improvements you can make to this selection? I’d love to discuss with you in the comments below!
Carly Shankman is a certified holistic health coach on a mission to create a happier, healthier world through whole food nutrition. She believes that mental, spiritual and physical health are not exclusive of one another. Connect with Carly on her website, Facebook and Twitter.